Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2008

4x4 Friday -Open Theme

The theme was left open for this week's 4x4 friday. I decided to make my own background for this sweet girl image I bought. I thought this 4in square would go nicely on a 5in card blank & could be used for a Mother's Day card. Although it will have to be for someone else to send with me not having a mother. I also used my distress inks to colour the photo as I saw on a Tim Holtz DVD. I thought the pale lemon flowers looked dull.

The background was made similar to my other pieces. I add my distress inks to the card on damp kitchen towel swirling them into one another & then I spritz them with a little water to get them to puddle & bleed into one another. Using more kitchen towel I blot the excess water & leave a mottle effect where I press the towel firmer on the piece. I use my heat gun to dry it off & then its ready to decorate.
Colours used; Peeled Paint, Tattered Rose & Spiced Marmalade.
I used an old plastic business card to add the Stazon timber brown lines to give it an old film look. I stamped script down one edge in Peeled paint & the flourish at the top. The flower is stamped over the top of the script & the petals coloured in faintly with some Royal Blue Versamark ink.
I like the fact that no matter how many times you use the same colours they always look different.

32 comments:

Stempelchaotin said...

Wow this is really beautiful. Fabulous image. Gorgeous 4 x 4.

~*~ Patty said...

I love your daisy girl, I have that image, you've transformed her so beautifully with color. Fab background as well! This will make a lovely MDay card!!!

Rosie said...

Gorgeous Paula - thanks for sharing your techniques!

Andrea, said...

Fabulous Paula, great background and a gorgeous image. I love how you have coloured the flowers they look wonderful.

Lee W. said...

you can send her to my house! love the inks, I have only 2, and need to experiment more. I love the idea of using a card edge for distressing too. Thanks for the tip!

Tania said...

Wow, this is soooooooooooo beautiful! Love the colors you used a lot! Thanks for the explenation!

Glitter Monkey said...

I'll be your mummy - even if it means adopting you - so I can have that wonderful card! Lol xx

Je@net said...

Fabulous card paula!! Love what you did with the flowers!!

Silvia said...

Wonderful 4x4. The background looks great. I love my Distress pads, too and take them nearly every day.

Anne said...

Fabulous Paula!! Love this image and your background is wonderful!!

malieta said...

Paula...your 4X4 is adorable!! I love it.
malieta:)

Sharon said...

Paula, this is soooooo beautiful. I love how you've created the background. The image is lovely too.

The Artful Eye said...

Absolutely beautiful, Paula. Great job I love how you distressed the piece. It really makes the image pop.

Chason Laing said...

Very nice card. Sure beats running up to the store and buying a generic 'On Mother's Day...'
Nice site.

Gillian :O) said...

Oh Paula! this is STUNNING!
lovely,lovely piece, I just loved reading how you created it...

Angelina said...

Hi Paula, Great 4 x 4. It's nice to read how you created this piece.

sandee said...

Very, very lovely piece!

Jacqueline's Craft Nest said...

This is beautiful - the flowers harmonize beautifully with the background.

joanne wardle said...

it's wonderful paula! and the background looks like Basic Grey Paper! fabulous!

alcoholinky said...

lovely colours Paula!

Audrey said...

Hey Paula - fab! There is something very unusual about the colour combo that is amazing! I think it that they seem like such strong colours, but are done in a soft way iykwim - really like how the flowers bring out the background colours too.

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Wonderful soft colours. Lovely work Paula.

Gillian said...

One of my fav piece of yours so far, lovely composition Paula:)

Petra Tillmann said...

Very beautiful Paula!

My Paper World said...

That's a beautiful image, and I love how you did the background, it looks great!

Simple Journeys said...

Beautiful--so soft! I envy lovely backgrounds like this.

michelle said...

Wow! wow! wow! omg, I love this. I am going to try your technique, cause I am so not with the whole blending thing and this came out so incredible.

Brook said...

All I can say is just gorgeous! How wonderful!

Ananas said...

Really beautiful work - again :)

Em's Blog said...

stunning Paula.. absolutely love it!

VeeBee said...

This is really beautiful, I'm off to buy some distress inks!
x

stamp and scrape said...

Beautiful 4x4 Paula. Love the technique used for the background.
Ros