Friday 1 June 2012

The "Mystery" Challenge


 I recently set a mystery challenge on Chrysalis & I sent all the players a small bag of "bits & pieces" and a set of instructions. Part of the instructions were to work in only two sets of colours, either blues & purples or reds & pinks.
The only other colours allowed were black, white, grey, silver or gold.
As I set the challenge I decided I really ought to make two pieces. The first piece I made was in blues & it is my imaginary idea of a 3D postcard using TH Texture Fades Postal embossing folder. The image was Urban stamps by Papermania & I selected this particular one because I love France & the postal emboss folder contains the word Paris twice.

This is the second piece in reds. I totally love this piece & I went to town on texture & gold embossing. The plain grungeboard wings were painted with red acrylic paint before running through a texture fades checkerboard folder. I coloured them with Raisin & cranberry alcohol inks to give shaded areas of red. The couple are on acetate. 


Originally I had planned a transfer for the couple but nothing worked & I had to remake this piece three times!! So determind was I to get the design in my sketch book onto the work table.
I am very pleased to say  that it actually looks exactly how I wanted it too & that is always a bonus to a piece of art :0) The small TH fragment has a stamped butterfly in stazon & painted with gold acrylic paint on the reverse. The flower was white painted with red acrylic, stamped & painted withregular gel (semi gloss) medium to add shine, the heart was also painted with the semi gloss medium. I used Gold Krylon on the edges as well as the gold powder.

5 comments:

Carol Q said...

lovely piece Paula. your heart creation is very romantic!

Julia S-W said...

I love these pieces Paula! My particular favourite is the 'blue' one - it's gorgeous! I like all the elements which come together in a great composition.
Juliaxx

lam said...

Beautiful as always. I love the blue one

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Ooooooooo both equally gorgeous Paula. I must show you mine, not a patch on yours. Thanks for setting this up x

Karin said...

Love both of your pieces Paula.