Friday 9 August 2019

Rainbow Child

This page came about in an unusual way.
I was sat in our local church on 22nd July,
attending a funeral service for our dear friend & neighbour, Fran.
She had written her wishes clearly & said under no circumstances
was there to be a eulogy. She was a member of the local choir & chose her own hymns. 
Therefore, after the first hymn, the Reverend Julie Donn first read a poem,
I wandered lonely as a Cloud.
She then spoke of how, as there was to be no eulogy, she felt she should read 
some scripture that seemed fitting for celebrating Fran's life.
I fail to remember the exact passage as I was still getting over the
singing as the choir members, stood in the congregation & sang with us. 
It was hauntingly beautiful & I still get goosebumps
thinking about it now as I type.
I do remember her saying,
that Fran meant something different to each one of us
& we would all remember her in our own unique way.
After the committal at our local cemetery, where the vast 
majority of my family are laid to rest, we went to the wake.
When we got home, I couldn't help thinking about the service.
I went outside to look at the plants I had inherited from Fran
& the song from Dan Reed Network came into my head.
I knew then I had to create a page.

You see, when I think of Fran, I think of an abundance of colour.
She loved every flower in every colour & shade.
So I created a rainbow coloured page with Dylusions paint & a stencil.

Then, because the song would not leave my head,
I wrote most of the lyrics across the whole page in black 
using a Posca Paint Pen.
At the end of the song, Dan Reed talks the final words,
Say hello, to the rainbow child.
She don't talk much, she don't have to..
So I computer generated them along with words
free spirit & gentle soul as these both describe 
who Fran was. I added the Santoro Willow 
girl, stamped & paper pieced.

No comments: